Subject: Re: [boost] [Fusion] Permission to update release branch and roll in dependencies
From: Tobias Schwinger (tschwinger_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-04-23 12:35:14

Eric Niebler wrote:
> Hi Tobias, sorry for he delay. I missed this the first time.
>
> On 4/21/2010 2:49 AM, Tobias Schwinger wrote:
>> Beman Dawes wrote:

> We're in bug-fix mode for the next release. Are there test failures on
> the release branch this will fix?

Tests are fine.

> Which ones?

Two programs in the 'example' directory won't compile for missing
dependencies, though.

> Which tickets will this close?

None. Joel forwarded me some user requests complaining about missing,
now factored-out (missing in release) functionality, though. I guess
I can forward them to you, if necessary.

The documentation also references the Forward and Factory utilities,
as those are the factorizations. To make things worse there are some
outdated and defunct files on the release branch. As they basically
(though not working) implement the now-missing functionality have
added to the confusion of users.

> What revisions specifically are you asking to merge from trunk?
> Can you send links to them?

See the attachment for what I have done to my working copy of the
release branch (trunk revision 61505, release revision 61506).

All tests passed and the examples compiled and ran without further
modification.

> Not for bureaucratic reasons. You had 3 months to merge your fixes from
> trunk to release. IIRC, this is the second time you've waited until the
> last minute to try to get these changes in. Don't blame the release
> procedures or the release managers, who are doing their job as best they
> can.

Not blaming anyone (except me, perhaps) - just kindly asking for an
open-minded investigation rather than a categoric "no". Since, as you
observed correctly, I had three months and it's the "last minute"
again, most unfortunately :/.

However, there is no potential for breakage, since we're talking about
a) adding code that is not there yet and b) removing code that is old
and already broken.

> Roll back what? Did anybody suggest that?

It has been considered rolling back the docs (in that thread referenced
in the OP). As we know now, this route would also require code changes
because the old files in the release branch don't work as-is.

Regards,
Tobias

# release Factory/Forward
svn copy trunk/boost/functional/forward_adapter.hpp release/boost/functional
svn copy trunk/boost/functional/lightweight_forward_adapter.hpp release/boost/functional
svn copy trunk/boost/functional/factory.hpp release/boost/functional
svn copy trunk/boost/functional/value_factory.hpp release/boost/functional
svn copy trunk/libs/functional/forward release/libs/functional
svn copy trunk/libs/functional/factory release/libs/functional
# remove non-working files from previous versions
svn del release/boost/fusion/functional/adapter/detail/pow2_explode.hpp
svn del release/boost/fusion/functional/adapter/detail/pt_def.hpp
svn del release/boost/fusion/functional/adapter/detail/pt_undef.hpp
svn del release/boost/fusion/functional/adapter/unfused_generic.hpp
svn del release/boost/fusion/functional/adapter/unfused_lvalue_args.hpp
svn del release/boost/fusion/functional/adapter/unfused_rvalue_args.hpp
svn del release/boost/fusion/functional/generation/make_unfused_generic.hpp
svn del release/boost/fusion/functional/generation/make_unfused_lvalue_args.hpp
svn del release/boost/fusion/functional/generation/make_unfused_rvalue_args.hpp