Subject: [boost] [Iterators] Iterators and higher-order programming
From: Thomas Jordan (thomasjordan_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-04-25 07:20:21

Hi,
One of the interesting things about the iterators library, it seems to me, is the additional support it gives for higher-order, functional-style programming. For example, you can use the transform and filter iterators to produce a simple 'Comprehension' object which permits list-comprehension type of syntax to be used, instead of conventional loops (or, e.g., std::transform). I found this quite exciting. I guess I could have come across this nice library sooner if it had been called 'Higher-Order Iterators' or at least co-categorised under the Function Objects and Higher-Order Programming library category.
Anyway, is the the intention that we now have a 'computationally-complete' alternative to loops, with which we can write general loops in a more functional, type-ful way?

Regards,
Tom