Subject: Re: [boost] [xint] Third release is ready, requesting preliminary review
From: Marius (letto2_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-05-01 03:32:30

> > I'm happy to announce that the third release of the Extended Integer
> > library is ready, in both the sandbox and the Vault.
> >
> > This is a major overhaul of the library, taking into account all of the
> > feedback and recommendations provided on the first two:
> >
> > * The exception-blocking system is gone, replaced by a separate
> > nothrow_integer class.
> >
> > * There's now a fixed_integer class template as well.
>
> yay!
>
> > * The test functions now use Boost.Test, and the documentation has been
> > moved to Doxygen.
>
> yay!
>
> > * Nearly every function received a thorough examination as well; many of
> > them were tweaked, and a few completely replaced.
> >
> > Please take a look and let me know what you think of the changes. I'm
> > very happy with them.

Hi, i must say that i'm a bit concerned about making thread safety a compile
time option especially considering that on unix systems you don't ussually
compile the library and ship it with your program. And if all the libraries in
boost will have compile time options like that it will quickly become
unmanageable for distributions.
I would suggest that you either make thread safe the default compile behaviour
or offer both safe and unsafe classes.
Or better make it all a header only library wich i'd think is a good idea
considering that it is not likely to bloat a program that much or to be too
time consuming to compile.