Subject: Re: [boost] [xint] Third release is ready, requesting preliminary review
From: vicente.botet (vicente.botet_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-05-01 15:16:55

----- Original Message -----
From: "Chad Nelson" <chad.thecomfychair_at_[hidden]>
To: <boost_at_[hidden]>
Sent: Saturday, May 01, 2010 8:27 PM

> On 05/01/2010 02:08 PM, Marius Stoica wrote:
> I'm sorry to say that my opinion differs. If someone is evaluating the
> library against several others to see which one he wants to use, he's
> not likely to dig into the documentation to figure out how to get the
> best speed out of it -- he's going to compare the default
> configurations. I'd like XInt to still be in the running when he does.
>
> Also, multithreaded operation is still fairly uncommon. I'd hate to make
> everyone pay for something that only a few need, especially when the
> speed cost is so high (the single-threaded version is *twice* the speed
> of the multithreaded one).

There are context on which your conditial compilation option makes everyone pay for something that only a few need. If I have an application on which there are some parts that need thread safety on your library and all the others don't need it all the other parts are paying for a few.

To satisfy everybody you need to probide both. If your library is header only, it is enough to provide two classes in separated files. If your libary need to be built, as I proposed already, you need to provide two libs.

Best,
Vicente