Subject: Re: [boost] [rfc] Preliminary Hash Library
From: Scott McMurray (me22.ca+boost_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-05-07 16:05:42

On 6 May 2010 05:52, Sylvester-Bradley, Gareth
<Gareth.Sylvester-Bradley_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> One question: I think all the hash functions you have so far are
> *cryptographic* hashes, right? I'd be interested in seeing
> non-cryptographic hashes like Bob Jenkin's hashlittle2 in the same
> framework. It looks like that would be possible?

Yes, they're all cryptographic hash functions for now.

The concepts would definitely allow models that are not cryptographic.
 One problem I foresee there is that I didn't have enough models of a
message digest to distill a concept, so they currently return an
instance of a specific digest template. Because that digest template
is algorithm-independent, there is a slight cost involved in the
conversion from the internal state. That cost is lost in the noise
for the more expensive cryptographic hashes, but might be a problem
for the much faster non-cryptographic hashes.

I'd love to generalize it further; Do you have a list of
non-cryptographic hashes you'd like to see?

Thanks,
~ Scott McMurray