Subject: Re: [boost] [Booster] Or boost is useless for library developers
From: Isidor Zeuner (boost_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-05-16 02:13:24

> More then that, under ELF platforms (Linux, Solaris, BSD) there is
> even bigger issue because this may happen even if you do not
> share classes explicitly between libfoo and your app. Because all
> symbols are uniquely mapped so user of libfoo may get boost-1.35
> symbols even if they are used internally.

Now this is an interesting issue. We stumbled over the same issue when
discussing how to best integrate boost in CLucene ([1]). I think boost
could use a user-controlled name mangling facility so a binary library
distributor could make sure the symbols from the boost he ships do not
collide with boost symbols in other code.

I haven't tried if a -Dboost ost_1_43 preprocessor flag (applied
to both the boost build and the application build) is sufficient,
though.

Best regards,

Isidor

[1] http://clucene.sourceforge.net/