Subject: Re: [boost] New moderators request unclear? (was: A Remedy for the Review Manager Starvation)
From: Thomas Klimpel (Thomas.Klimpel_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-05-16 17:56:48

Oh, maybe I completely misunderstood Beman's request then. I'm not a native speaker, but I even looked up "nominate" at <http://dict.leo.org>. It seems to mean something like "to elect somebody". (I had looked it up, because it was unclear to me whether "nomination" includes asking the person for permission first.) But as you put it, it seems to mean something like "to volunteer".

> "[existing moderators'] day job responsibilities have changed, or
> other distractions are preventing them from giving list moderation
> the attention it deserves."
>
> ..this makes me think that there is a call of sorts for "new-blood",
> because some boosters are moving on, in some respects (not
> necessarily entirely, but other responsibilities keep them away, and
> they may not be able to devote as much time as they once did, be it
> moderation or otherwise).

I wasn't sure here whether Beman was explicitly asking for new blood, or just formulating his request in a way that it was clear that new blood was also allowed. But if somebody would nominate Eric Niebler, Daniel James, Rene Rivera, Hartmut Kaiser, Vladimir Prus, Robert Ramey, Gennadiy Rozental, Joel de Guzman or any other of the usual suspect, I'm pretty sure that Beman wouldn't object.

So if I understood Beman's request correctly, he is still waiting for additional nominations. If I understood him incorrectly, and he is just waiting for volunteers, I think he should add a clarification to his request that is also understandable for non-native speakers (that are unaware of the connotations of the word "nomination", if these connotations should really exist).

Regards,
Thomas