Subject: Re: [boost] BoostCon 2011 Dates and Hotel Discount (this week only!)
From: Rene Rivera (grafikrobot_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-05-19 10:44:47

On 5/18/2010 7:12 PM, David Abrahams wrote:
> At Tue, 18 May 2010 16:57:02 -0500,
> Rene Rivera wrote:

>>> I agree with you. Even if the venue is very nice, it's also very
>>> inconvenient, at least for many of us.
>>
>> Same here.. And I've volunteered my time to do the on-the-ground work if
>> the conference moved to the Chicago area in the past (after the first
>> year we organized the conference).
>
> Every year at BoostCon we discuss this. I don't think there's enough
> interest—among those that actually show up—in exploring other
> locations to make alternatives practical.

Calling you out on this.. That makes for a biased assessment because the
people that would most likely want to have it some place other than
Aspen are likely not to show up at Aspen. Even if I've wanted to, I
haven't been able to attend because of financial constraints. And if it
where half the cost, I would almost certainly attend. And I suspect many
others would too. And hence we might see more than a doubling of attendance.

> I know I'm not much
> interested in holding BoostCon anywhere in the US other than Aspen,
> because
>
> 1. atmosphere counts, and the conference just wouldn't be the same
> anywhere else.

Which assumes you can't get a similar atmosphere some place else. Note I
don't consider the scenery the same as the atmosphere ;-)

> 2. at this point, BoostCon pretty much goes off without a hitch and
> I don't want to figure out how to do it again in different
> circumstances.

That is certainly a big factor in staying at Aspen.

> …but if Boost develops a consensus to hold it elsewhere, I certainly
> won't do anything to stand in the way.

OK, perhaps a poll is in order at this point. I'll set one up for people
to fill out.. Do people have suggestions as to good places to consider
for holding some future BoostCon at? My shorts list is:

* New York
* New Jersey
* Toronto
* Chicago