Subject: Re: [boost] BoostCon 2011 Dates and Hotel Discount (this week only!)
From: Vladimir Prus (vladimir_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-05-19 13:06:42

David Abrahams wrote:

> At Tue, 18 May 2010 16:24:35 -0400,
> Stefan Seefeld wrote:
>>
>> David,
>>
>> a couple of weeks (months ?) ago, you sent a curiosity provoking
>> announcement about some new tool which you wanted everyone to use for
>> boost (and other) development, suggesting that it would be unveiled at
>> BoostCon.
>
> Ryppl. It was.
>
>> For the benefit of those poor fellows who couldn't make it there: Will
>> there be a follow-up on this ?
>
> You bet there will. I'm just now trying to put everything in a
> condition where others can help with the work :-)
>
>> Is there anything that will affect boost development in the
>> short-to-medium term?
>
> It's hard to say how soon Boost will make the transition, or even if
> it will. I'm trying assiduously not to tie the fate of Ryppl to
> Boost's use thereof. However, I predict that Boost *will* make that
> transition

I would suggest to wait with any such predictions until you can demonstrate
that whatever new setup you propose can build all of boost, run all the tests,
get exactly same results on those tests and further, and is actually maintained
for a few releases and is actually better.

I should remind about the boost-cmake project, which was announced with great noise,
promoted to a state of an almost-official component, got mentioned at the top of release
announcement for a certain release (*), got featured in marketing materials of certain
company and then ended up being totally unmaintained.

- Volodya

(*) It's true that the announcement in question: http://www.boost.org/users/news/version_1_39_0
reports that boost-cmake is broken, but still it's funny that brokeness of an experimental
something was deemed more important than updates in the libraries.