Subject: Re: [boost] [Boost-docs] Maintaining boost.org
From: OvermindDL1 (overminddl1_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-05-31 21:52:07

On Tue, May 25, 2010 at 4:05 AM, Daniel James <dnljms_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> On 25 May 2010 03:49, OvermindDL1 <overminddl1_at_[hidden]> wrote:
>>
>> Could always create such a site using Wt[0] or so in pure C++/Boost
>> itself for a good demonstration, would be simple enough to do, just
>> have to remake a few things that already exist out there in other
>> languages, not hard though.
>>
>> [0] http://www.webtoolkit.eu/wt
>
> Isn't Wt more orientated towards developing applications rather than
> hosting content?

Not necessarily, even the main Wt site is very static. The main bits
I like about it are:
 - It is like developing a gui application, using signal handlers, etc...
 - It support javascript to only update the parts of a page that are
changed, rather then all of it, and it gracefully falls back to pure
html when javascript is disabled or does not work and so forth, in the
general case the interface seems really *fast* (see the homesite
again).
 - It is pure C++, what is probably all of ours favorite language,
with all the power that entails, it uses boost as-is currently as
well.

It is really easy to just whip something up really quick in it, as
stated, it is like developing a gui program, static or not, it is
always easy. It can serve up static HTML as well, can migrate things
over as necessary.

Because it is like developing a gui, you can mock things up quickly
(or fall back to html if necessary, I have had no need to yet though).
 It is well tested and well used. Only thing I am not big on is the
GPLv2 license, but that would be fine for this use.

I can create something in it if you want something demonstrated for note.

That cppcms might work as well, but it is a lot more low-level the
whole way through.

For note, the whole Wt home site can also be viewed in its source
level too in a Wt powered interface at:
  http://www.webtoolkit.eu/wt#/src
And it has plenty of examples listed there, accessible directly here:
  http://www.webtoolkit.eu/wt#/examples/
Doxygen docs at:
  http://www.webtoolkit.eu/wt/doc/examples/html/modules.html

It can very easily do anything you may need to do on the site, from
rendering dynamic charts (using SVG, VML, or canvas, depending on the
browser viewing the site) to embedded pure html chat interfaces (using
either timers or server-push, depending on server and browser
capabilities), to just basic html page pushing.

Plus, I do still like the fact it is pure C++, a demonstration of
something using boost libraries.