Subject: Re: [boost] [Boost-docs] Maintaining boost.org
From: David Abrahams (dave_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-06-02 10:20:46

At Wed, 2 Jun 2010 00:10:48 -0700 (PDT),
Artyom wrote:

> > Ditto, and a couple years of experience with Wt, and a
> > decade with
> > PHP, and a **few months** with CppCMS.
>
> Good point.

> - Developing web application as you develop GUI is not suited for
> general web development

You haven't given any evidence to support this claim AFAICT, but I may
have missed it.

> - Signals/Slots mode has big overhead and hides too much from developer.

I can understand that argument. Not sure I agree that it hides too
much, but at least I understand it.

> - HTML and templates are essential for web development, hiding them
> behind Qt like "layout" abstracts brings back and not forward.

This seems to be an entirely subjective statement. I'd like to
understand whether it's the same as saying “machine instructions are
essential for coding; hiding them behind Pascal-like ‘high-level
language’ abstractions brings us back and not forward,” which I would
reject on its face, or if there's something more to it.

Note that I don't reject all such arguments. For example, I believe
that today's typesafe languages force us too far away from the machine
model to achieve the highest efficiency. But then, that's phrased as
a tradeoff between safety and efficiency; your statement isn't.

--
Dave Abrahams
BoostPro Computing