Subject: Re: [boost] [Boost-docs] Maintaining boost.org
From: Dean Michael Berris (mikhailberis_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-06-02 22:39:05

On Thu, Jun 3, 2010 at 5:50 AM, David Abrahams <dave_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> At Wed, 2 Jun 2010 13:00:21 -0600,
> OvermindDL1 wrote:
>>
>> > Wow, this Wt thing looks really, really cool.  I don't suppose they
>> > want to be part of Boost?
>>
>> I would doubt it, it is a sub-project of the Emweb company with dual
>> GPL/Commercial license, they only keep it running and updating to
>> support their own efforts, like the Qt/Nokia relationship.  Personally
>> I question some of their design decisions, it would be quite
>> interesting to create a replacement that is better optimized (in the
>> boost style) with all that power.  I can propose the question though.
>
> If they are unlikely to be interested, maybe it would be better to
> quietly go about building the Boost Wt (which I presume would generate
> lots of other infrastructure Boost “should” have as a side-effect).
> Who's volunteering? :-)

Actually...

I'm working on cpp-netlib [0] which already has an embeddable HTTP
server template. One of the things next in the list is a web
framework, which I will also start developing soon as I get enough
time to go make it happen.

Right now on my list of things to address with cpp-netlib are:

  * asynchronous HTTP client
  * HTTP server and client that supports streaming
  * web framework
  * SMTP client
  * XMPP client

These have to absolutely be done before I even think about submitting
for review and inclusion in Boost. Of course there's the documentation
[1] thing, which definitely needs a face lift -- and more comments.

The inspiration for the web framework is Ruby on Rails [2], which
follows the MVC 2 pattern, and allows for a pluggable system of
implementations of the different layers involved. In the cpp-netlib
and Boost tradition, this is designed to be header-only.

I'm definitely interested in hosting that effort in the cpp-netlib
project if anybody comes forward with a fork of cpp-netlib [0] on
Github, tests, properly attributed (copyright, Boost-licensed) code,
and sparse documentation+examples. I don't mind discussing the effort
here to expose cpp-netlib more to the larger Boost community (in case
it's not obvious yet, this is a shameless plug :D).

HTH

[0] http://github.com/mikhailberis/cpp-netlib
[1] http://cpp-netlib.github.com/
[2] http://rubyonrails.org/