Subject: Re: [boost] [boost::endian] Summary of discussion #1
From: Stewart, Robert (Robert.Stewart_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-06-04 12:33:42

Jonathan Franklin wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 4, 2010 at 7:57 AM, vicente.botet
> <vicente.botet_at_[hidden]> wrote:
>
> > For me compressed and packed are not the same. The name
> > pack comes from the fact the integer bytes are packed. We can
> > talk of compression of un integer that can takes values from
> > 0 and 10000 for example. But what we say here is that we need
> > a integer represented with 24 bits, as this is the
> > constraint. packed is the word I have always see in this
> > context, not compressed. Other language procide this king of
> > packed integers.
>
> To whit, GCC supports struct packing via the __packed__ attribute:
> http://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/gcc/Type-Attributes.html

That's for a UDT, not for an int.

> I'm not a linguist, but I use pack as a noun all the time. Whenever I
> feel like rock climbing, I grab my gear pack and head for the crag.

Of course "pack" can be a noun. I didn't say otherwise (presuming that your reference to nouns versus verbs was in reference to one of my posts on that point). However, just as you've used it, a "pack" is a collection or holder of things. Hence, it doesn't work in this context because the type in question holds a single integer type of some number of bits/octets.

_____
Rob Stewart robert.stewart_at_[hidden]