Subject: Re: [boost] Review of a safer memory management approach for C++?
From: Joel de Guzman (joel_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-06-06 22:59:33

On 6/7/10 9:49 AM, Bartlett, Roscoe A wrote:
> Up until recently, I was just having to compile and link Thyra and client code using
> the implicit template instantiation mechanism on the*wide* variety of compilers that
> we are contractually obligated to support including several different versions of GCC,
> Intel, Sun, PGI, IBM, Pathscale, and Visual C++ on a whole bunch of platforms (Linux,
> various flavors of Unix, Windows, specialty HPC systems, etc.). In many ways, I think
> that I have been the unfortunate first adopter of heavily templated code on many of
> these platforms.

Interesting thread...

I think the paragraph above more or less sums up your predicament.
Simply, you can't use modern C++ because you are obligated to support
poorly conforming compilers. That's reasonable. But any other rationale
on top of that (relating to heavy template use, static vs runtime
polymorphism, etc.) is really irrelevant because of your primary
requirement above.

Luckily for most of us here, we are free from such obligations and
requirements :-)

Cheers,

--
Joel de Guzman