Subject: Re: [boost] [GIL] integration between boost libraries (gil / multiarray)
From: David Abrahams (dave_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-06-22 07:40:19

At Mon, 21 Jun 2010 20:43:03 -1000,
Christian Henning wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> >> Gil is concept based.
> >
> > That doesn't necessarily make it generic :-0
>
> Do you mean that tools like concepts in the wrong hands can cause
> confusion or just plain gibberish? If so, I'm pretty sure the people
> at adobe who handcrafted gil knew what they were doing. Also gil
> survived the boost review and is now part of boost for a couple of
> years, or so.

I'm not trying to imply anything, one way or another, about the people
who built GIL. I am only saying that you can invent concepts all day
long but you'll end up with a non-generic library if you haven't
accounted for the need to non-intrusively adapt types to model them.

> I don't really wanna blow up this issue.

Then I suggest cooling your jets a wee bit :-)

> For now view concepts from gil and multi_array are not compatible I
> would say. Hopefully in the future we can agree on 2D and 3D
> container and container view concepts that should be implemented by
> all libs who need such functionality. In the same we way boost needs
> a common point2D structure. ;-)

I'm not sure why it should be true that we need a common point2D. But
then, maybe I'm missing something.

--
Dave Abrahams
BoostPro Computing