Subject: Re: [boost] Future of Vault (was: Vault - multiple C/C++ files versus a compressed one)
From: Robert Jones (robertgbjones_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-06-23 04:22:51

On Wed, Jun 23, 2010 at 1:49 AM, David Abrahams <dave_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> Now that http://filetolink.com exists (and will automatically zip any
> multi-file uploads), I'm inclined to move everything there and close
> down the vault. We could add an index page on the wiki so the “vault
> contents” would be browsable. Opinions? Objections?

I find this FileToLink site a strange beast. You upload a file, and it just
sits there forever. It's not indexed, you can't find it, or browse for it,
without
the link supplied when you uploaded, it can't be deleted, you don't in
any sense own it. Anything put there is there forever, like it or not.

So, for Boost stuff I guess we'd still need some kind of index page
on the Boost site so we could find things, and even old outdated stuff
will still be available, even if no longer indexed.

I guess that could work, but maybe it would be best to continue to upload
via the Boost site, and use FileToLink as a backend, so as to automatically
keep the 'index' page in sync.

- Rob.