Subject: Re: [boost] Concept Traits Library
From: Frédéric Bron (frederic.bron_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-07-10 15:49:29

> I would also like to see the operator detection in the CTL added to Boost,
> even with the known limitations for operators which must be member
> functions, but I do not know if you feel this would also be an addition to
> the type traits library ? I know that Frederick Bron has added some traits
> to the type_traits in the sandbox which are a subset of all the operator
> traits in the CTL but he appears to have stopped with what he was doing
> because he found out the CTL already existed.

I was very near submitting the operator traits but was stopped when
someone suggested to check before it it was not already in the CTL. I
checked and saw that it was included in it (however with less
flexibility). The conclusion was that the CTL was much larger library
and was very interesting but I did not have enough time to revive it.

What I can say is that there is some differences between the traits I
proposed and the one of the CTL: in CTL, there is no check of return
type. We had quite a long dicussion about this and ended to a nice
solution which is to check or not (optional) for the return type to be
convertible to a given type.
If we agree to add only the operator traits to the type_traits library
separatly from the CTL, I think that my proposal is nearly ready and I
can do the extra work. If we want to add the CTL, it is better if
someone else does it as it would be too much work for me.

However, if Edward would like to finish my work, I have also no objection.

Cheers,

Frédéric