Subject: Re: [boost] [1.44] Beta progress?
From: Robert Ramey (ramey_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-07-20 00:22:23

David Abrahams wrote:
> [sent from tiny mobile device]
>
> On Jul 19, 2010, at 5:48 PM, "Robert Ramey" <ramey_at_[hidden]> wrote:
>
>> I had neglected to bump the library version # . Doh!!!.
>>
>> THAT is the real problem.
>
> That'll do it. Consider inserting the boost version number as well;
> that gets bumped by the release managers so you can't forget ;-)

actually the library version # has been bumped only when there
was a change in file format - which was less frequent than
boost releases.

lol - hold on to you hat - here we go.

But I think this question raises a much more interesting
aspect of boost.

I think the concept of a boost release version is rapidly
becoming out of date and irrelevant. Everything points
to a future of less coupling between libraries. In the
future, I think each library will have it's own
interface version number and a separate implementation
version number. A "boost release" will only be a list
of library version numbers - and of course a snapshot
of a set of libraries. In general, a library won't be
able to know what boost release it will be part of.

Another way of saysing this is that to me boost
release is "deployment". In the future there will
be different "deployments". TRx subset, reviewed,
current and maintained, etc. So the idea of
putting the boost release into a library would
be circular and not actually doable.

Robert Ramey