Subject: Re: [boost] New name of bjam.exe
From: Vladimir Prus (vladimir_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-07-20 06:39:40

Bruno Santos wrote:

> Ter, 2010-07-20 às 10:55 +0200, Marco Guazzone escreveu:
>> On Tue, Jul 20, 2010 at 10:45 AM, Vladimir Prus <ghost_at_[hidden]> wrote:
>> >
>> > Boosters,
>> >
>> > I am sure that most of you got accustomed to typing "bjam" in console whenever you
>> > want to build things. This name is old, and derives from a tool named "jam", which
>> > is even older (around for maybe 20 years). However, this name is probably no longer
>> > good.
>> >
>> > First, having a single project be identified by both "Boost.Build" and "bjam" names
>> > proves inconveninent from "marketing" and conveninence standpoints, to the point where
>> > many users try to read documentation for Boost.Jam, don't find anything there, and
>> > become upset.
>> >
>> > Second, users get the idea that Boost.Build is somehow related to "Classic Jam", which
>> > is not true.
>> >
>> > For those reasons, Rene and I have decided that "bjam.exe" should go. We're thinking
>> > about naming the executable simply "build.exe", since no other build tool bothered to
>> > take it.
>> >
>> > Does anybody have comments, or better suggestions?
>> >

>> IMHO, "build" is a very generic name.
>>
>> Maybe something like "bbuild" (where the first "b" stands for Boost)
>> might just help me to remember this is a boost related tool
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> -- Marco
>

> Agree. It's too much generic.

It's generic, but well, there are no conflicts in practice.

> Some additional suggestions:
>
> boostb
> bmake
> bbv2
> mkbb

Thanks. However, I am not sure the association with 'make' is something we want,
and 'boostb' and 'bbv2' are somewhat cryptic. I was thinking about just 'b2',
but Rene does not like that much either. And 'bb' is more like sound a child
might make ;-)

- Volodya