Subject: Re: [boost] Cache flushing in the constructors
From: Thomas Klimpel (Thomas.Klimpel_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-08-04 12:40:10

Sid Sacek wrote:
> I can see the possibility that a "Weak Memory Model CPU" is being used
> in an embedded scenario, and not having a ccNUMA architecture. I don't
> know if it's still realistic for that hardware to still be using boost
> at that point, but I suppose it's possible.

I think IBM's "cell broadband engine" (also used in PS3) is an example of hardware that is not ccNUMA. I'm not sure how parallel other current embedded hardware is, but I guess it is still the exception.

However, the other answers also reminded me that even on ccNUMA hardware, simply assuming that modified data will be available in other threads without explicit synchronization wouldn't be correct. (And that it will work most of the time will only make the corresponding bug/race condition more difficult to find).

Regards,
Thomas