Subject: Re: [boost] [gsoc] Boost.Process done
From: Boris Schaeling (boris_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-08-30 14:59:49

On Mon, 30 Aug 2010 08:52:00 +0200, Vladimir Prus
<vladimir_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> [...]
>> Thank you very much for running the test cases! Looking at the values
>> <target-os> can be set to I wonder which other plaforms need -pthread:
>>
>> aix, bsd, cygwin, darwin, freebsd, hpux, iphone, linux, netbsd, openbsd,
>> osf, qnx, qnxnto, sgi, solaris, unix, unixware, windows
>>
>> So far it's Linux and FreeBSD. Or does unix mean it's set for all
>> Unix-like platforms?
>
> Well, if you're using pthread_create, then using threading=multi seems
> like a better approach than linking to the pthread library directly. Is
> this not good idea for some reason?

I checked now why I even had to add -lpthread if it wasn't required in
earlier Boost.Process drafts: The new status class uses a worker thread to
support asynchronous I/O. So yes, threading=multi is the natural choice.
;) Updated in SVN and in the ZIP file.

Boris