Subject: Re: [boost] Thoughts for a GUI (Primitives) Library
From: Edward Diener (eldiener_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-09-02 10:14:15

On 9/2/2010 12:31 AM, Vladimir Prus wrote:
> Edward Diener wrote:

>>> I don't know if there's enough space for this. There are a plenty of
>>> GUIs Framework,
>>> like Qt or wxWindows, which are more advanced.
>>
>> wxWindows is horrendous as a modern C++ GUI library. It uses C++ as it
>> was used some 15 to 20 years ago and makes endless excuses about why its
>> dialect of C++ must never be upgraded centered around support for
>> hopelessly non-compliant C++ compilers.
>>
>> Qt is a proprietary framework, also not using modern C++ but its own
>> in-house ideas instead, which have long ago been superceded by modern
>> C++ constructs such as in Boost libraries.
>
> It's not clear whether those "modern C++ constructs" bring much practical
> advantage.

The practical advantage is that it becomes unnecessary to work in two
different worlds, the world of Qt "extensions" and the world of modern
standard C++ with Boost. This sort of hybrid development is always more
complex than it first appears to be to program in. I personally would
prefer a modern C++ GUI based around Boost and any other modern C++
libraries as well as the constructs soon to be incorporated in the next
C++ standard.

>> Furthermore one can not
>> create commercial applications with it without either releasing the
>> source code or paying Trolltech, or whoever owns them now, some large
>> amount of money.
>
> This is not true. You can use Qt for all kind of projects, including
> commercial closed-source, without paying a dime. It's under LGPL on all
> platforms, and "L" matters -- it means you are only prevented from
> making local modifications to Qt and distributing modified version.

You are correct and it was my mistake.