Subject: Re: [boost] Scalpel: a Spirit&Wave-powered C++ source code analysis library
From: Doug Gregor (doug.gregor_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-09-08 16:23:45

On Wed, Sep 8, 2010 at 11:10 AM, Mathias Gaunard
<mathias.gaunard_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> On 08/09/2010 17:07, Doug Gregor wrote:
>>
>> On Wed, Sep 8, 2010 at 4:19 AM, Mathias Gaunard
>> <mathias.gaunard_at_[hidden]>  wrote:
>>>
>>> On 08/09/2010 04:07, Gottlob Frege wrote:
>>> That approach doesn't work when you're cross-compiling, and using headers
>>> only available on the target platform.
>>
>> It works perfectly fine. Your compiler/IDE just needs to know the
>> target (including where those headers reside), but it has to know that
>> anyway to produce code.
>>
>> There would be a slight issue with GCC, because a given GCC executable
>> only targets a single architecture, and multiple instances of GCC
>> can't coexist in an executable. I don't know how common that
>> limitation is, but Clang (for example) allows dynamic selection of the
>> target architecture and allows multiple instances.
>
> Alright, then replace "cross-compiling" by "developing on a platform that
> cannot compile the target".

Ah, that's a different issue. Any system for syntax highlighting, code
completion, indexing, etc., will be slightly hobbled in this
environment, since you don't have the declarations you need to actual
provide good suggestions. Still, so long as the parser's recovery is
okay, this will work.

  - Doug