Subject: Re: [boost] [gsoc] Boost.Process done
From: Jeremy Maitin-Shepard (jeremy_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-09-12 19:11:33

On 09/12/2010 08:45 AM, Boris Schaeling wrote:
> On Sun, 12 Sep 2010 01:03:59 +0200, Jeremy Maitin-Shepard
> <jeremy_at_[hidden]> wrote:
>
>> [...]Suppose you want to map the child's file descriptor 3 to what the
>> parent's file descriptor 1 is, and you also want the child's file
>> descriptor 1 to be set to something else. You configure the child's
>> file descriptor 1 using the library's interface. Since context::setup
>> is called after the child's file descriptor 1 has been remapped, you
>> no longer have access to the parent's file descriptor 1, unless you
>> took care to dup it previously (and ensure that you are returned
>> something > 2).
>
> Yes, this is what create_child() does with the standard streams. And I
> agree you probably have to do the same (calling fcntl(..., F_DUPFD, 3)).
> But I'm not sure if this POSIX-only problem which can be rather easily
> solved by the user and is only an issue when a fd > 2 should be mapped
> to a fd < 3 justifies to change the interface of context (at least I
> don't expect it will become easier to use)? I would agree that this
> would definitely need to be documented.

Mapping an fd > 2 to an existing fd <= 2 was an extreme example where
the Boost Process code was actively interfering, but in fact the naive
approach of dup2 followed by close will get you in trouble quite easily.
  (Suppose you want to assign to both 3 and 4, and it happens that the
existing fds are assigned to 4 and 3 respectively, or you want to assign
something to e.g. 3 and it happens to already be 3, so you end up
closing it, etc.) From my perspective, this means there is a clear need
(by any users that need to do mappings > 3) for a library to handle the
file descriptor mapping. You make the argument that boost process is
not the right library, but if Boost.Process is being used, it seems
clear that the functionality could only be provided by Boost.Process.
(To have a convenient interface, I think it would clearly need to be
coupled with Boost.Process.)

> But I'm still not sure whether
> Boost.Process should provide a posix_context class which supports the
> scenario above out of the box (I can already hear users asking "if the
> library supports X on POSIX why not Y?"). If we could somehow draw a
> line between "good" and "bad" platform-specific features it will be much
> easier for maintainers later. Maybe a direct question helps: Why should
> Boost.Process support fds > 2 out of the box but not chroot for example
> (there was a string member variable in context in previous versions to
> easily set the root directory)? Or your preference is just the opposite
> and you like to see additional platform-specific classes which support
> as many platform-specific features as possible?

I certainly don't want to see Boost.Process providing a way to do
arbitrary POSIX things like setuid, etc. A key distinction between
setuid, chroot, etc. is that they require only a single system call, so
that invoking those functions directly from the callback is practically
the optimal interface anyway. I would like to see a more convenient C++
interface to POSIX calls generally, but that can all be done completely
independently from Boost.Process (and then potentially used from the
callback function).

With file descriptor redirection, I think catering more towards POSIX
makes sense, because I think it is much more likely to be used on POSIX
than on Windows. (My impression is that std{in,out,err} are not used
very extensively on Windows at all, and doing any sort of fancy
redirection is even rarer.)

In general, I think it is good to keep libraries, interfaces, etc. as
simple and decoupled as possible, provided that you don't sacrifice
power or efficiency in the interface. If you want Boost.Process to be
the _the_ c++ interface for child process creation (and really, that is
what "boost." implies), then it is important to ensure that all but the
most extreme cases can be handled in a useful way (e.g. either the
library directly provides a convenient way to do what you want, or the
library can be conveniently used in combination with some other library
to do what you want), as opposed to having to bypass the library or
sacrifice convenience to work with the library.