Subject: Re: [boost] [gsoc] Boost.Process done
From: Boris Schaeling (boris_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-09-15 18:09:15

On Tue, 14 Sep 2010 23:15:25 +0200, Jeremy Maitin-Shepard
<jeremy_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> [...]Syntax for these basic operations might be:
>
> context ctx;
>
> ctx[bp::stdout] = some_fd;
> // Note: some_fd might be an open (filesystem) file, an open socket, etc.

This is a syntax I basically like. I'm not sure though whether it should
be ctx.stream_behaviors[] instead of ctx[]? As for Windows users this
interface shouldn't be more confusing than the current one I prefer it to
the hardcoded member variables stdin_behavior, stdout_behavior and
stderr_behavior.

> [...]Although this syntax may seem a bit fancy, it would actually all
> involve very little code, I think.

I think for now I'll update the context class to support the syntax above
but with existing stream behaviors. This should be a rather simple change
hopefully everyone agrees with. Your ideas as interesting as they are open
the box of Pandora and will start another huge discussion which I would
prefer to engage in after we have managed to finish version 1.0 of
Boost.Process (which is hopefully this year ;).

Boris