Subject: Re: [boost] Interest in specialized types
From: Henning Basold (h.basold_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-09-28 05:31:45

2010/9/27 vicente.botet <vicente.botet_at_[hidden]>:
> [...]

Sounds good. Hopefully you can propose it soon for inclusion so I can
use it in production code :)

>> PS: The concept could for example be used to implement a generalized
>> type erasure which could be used in a type safe manner.
>
> I don't understand completly. Could you explain a little more?

The idea is very similar to Boost.Function. That is you have a fixed
interface that one can use on arbitrary types. The concret type is
then hidden after construction. The only difference to Boost.Function
is that you can specify an arbitrary interface and not just function
calls. The interace specification is done analogously to new_type. So
one could use Boost.Any without having to know the concret type which
is stored inside (as long as the object itself isn't needed).
My only problem so far is that I haven't found a way that objects do
no grow in size or the dispatching in time with the number of possible
methods.