Subject: Re: [boost] [btree] build advice needed
From: Ravi (lists_ravi_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-10-04 00:50:08

On Sunday 03 October 2010 11:43:14 Vladimir Prus wrote:
> >> $ git clone git://github.com/Beman/Boost-Btree btree
> >> $ cd btree/libs/btree/build
> >> $ bjam
> >> error: Could not find parent for project at '.'
> >> error: Did not find Jamfile or project-root.jam in any parent directory.
> >>

> >> As it says, there is no project-root.jam or Jamfile in any parent; this
> >> makes me think that perhaps it is expecting this to be part of a larger
> >> Boost tree.
> >

> > Yes, that's what it expects. Is getting full Boost source tree
> > inpractical, too? You can build just one library easily.
>
> Ah, and when you get full tree, I'd recommend:
>
> ./bootstrap.sh
> ./bjam --with-btree
>
> as opposed to using whatever version of Boost.Build is in Debian -- it is
> probably old.

This is a problem I run into every time someone proposes a library for boost
(log, process, etc.). Our sysadmin builds boost, say 1.43, and installs it
into a known location, say /boost-1.43, but does not give us access to the
build tree. Now, if I wish to build boost.log against the installed version of
boost, how do I go about it? Here's what I try:
  1. Get boost 1.43 sources and unpack it.
  2. Get boost.log sources and unpack it inside the boost tree.
  3. ???
At step 3, I would like to use the bjam, other executables and the libraries
already built and installed by our sysadmin. However, even if I try
    --with-log
and no other command line options, bjam insists on building the libraries on
which boost.log depends. How can I teach bjam or the build process that
certain libraries are already built and installed?

Regards,
Ravi