Subject: Re: [boost] [filesystem] home_directory_path
From: Christian Holmquist (c.holmquist_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-10-20 17:46:03

On 20 October 2010 13:53, Giovanni Piero Deretta <gpderetta_at_[hidden]>wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 20, 2010 at 7:11 PM, Christian Holmquist
> <c.holmquist_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> > On 20 October 2010 11:42, Alexander Churanov <
> alexanderchuranov_at_[hidden]>wrote:
> >
> > Are those people advocating for $HOME on Windows to be anything else than
> My
> > Documents really Windows users? I've been trough development of fixing
> > pre-Vista developed applications to work, and the times where one could
> just
> > ignore access rights on Windows is long gone.
> > IMO Boost.Filesystem should follow best practices for each supported
> > platform, and using C:\ as default user folder or the obscure USERPROFILE
> is
> > IMO not good practice on Windows.
> >

> USERPROFILE on my Windows machine points to <root>\Users\<username>.
> This is pretty much the only dir by default where my normal user id
> has write permission. This is where Documents, Desktop, Favorites,
> Appdata user directories are. Is there any reason *not* to use
> USERPROFILE on Vista or later?

On Windows 7/Vista USERPROFILE seems definitely right, I apologize.
At work on XP with some kind of networked domain storage thing for My
Documents, C:\Documents and settings\<username> seems a little like bogus,
but maybe the domain/installation is just ill-configured, and doesn't serve
as a good example.

Christian