Subject: [boost] need to get boost compiled so I can get Shareaza built
From: Kevin Simonson (kvnsmnsn_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-10-21 18:54:37

I'm trying to get the Shareaza source code to build in my local directory. When I try to build the only error I'm getting now is "Cannot open include file: 'boost/cstdint.hpp': No such file or directory". So it looks like I need to compile Boost. Some time back I went to the sourceForge "Developers.GettingStarted.Boost" page (I'd been referred there by a document that said I needed to compile Boost to be able to build Shareaza), and followed its instructions to the point of copying "bjam.exe" into my "boost_1_44_0\boost_1_44_0" directory, next to "boost.css".

The next thing it said to do was to open "a command prompt window, and navigate it to the boost_1_33_1 folder where bjam.exe is located," and then paste "the text below onto the command line, and press Enter." The text in question was "{{{1}}}". I assumed that what this meant was to execute "bjam {{{1}}}". But when I actually did execute "bjam {{{1}}}" I got the messages:

warning: No toolsets are configured.
warning: Configuring default toolset "msvc".
warning: If the default is wrong, your build may not work correctly.
warning: Use the "toolset=xxxxx" option to override our guess.
warning: For more configuration options, please consult
warning: http://boost.org/boost-build2/doc/html/bbv2/advanced/configuration.html
notice: could not find main target {{{1}}}
notice: assuming it is a name of file to create.
nBuilding the Boost C++ Libraries.nn
warning: Graph library does not contain MPI-based parallel components.
note: to enable them, add "using mpi ;" to your user-config.jam
warning: skipping optional Message Passing Interface (MPI) library.
note: to enable MPI support, add "using mpi ;" to user-config.jam.
note: to suppress this message, pass "--without-mpi" to bjam.
note: otherwise, you can safely ignore this message.
don't know how to make <e>{{{1}}}
...found 1 target...
...can't find 1 target...

The docs said executing this command would cause a "C:\Boost" directory to be created, but one wasn't, so even if the error messages didn't look discouraging, it's pretty clear that I didn't accomplish what I needed to to get Shareaza compiled. And running the Shareaza build afterwards generated the complaint about "boost/cstdint.hpp" anyway.

So my question is, what do I have to do to get Boost compiled, so that I can go on and build Shareaza? I'd appreciate any information you can give me.

Kevin S