Subject: Re: [boost] [Guild] Getting volunteers' changes back to trunk
From: Jim Bell (Jim_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-11-12 13:32:17

On 1:59 PM, David Abrahams wrote:
> At Fri, 12 Nov 2010 10:34:33 -0600,
> Rene Rivera wrote:

>>> Agreed. I envision active maintainers establishing rapport with guild
>>> members whose work they liked.
>> I don't agree.. We keep promoting library authors to not be part of
>> the Boost community this way. Library authors should accept that once
>> their library is accepted other people in the community will help to
>> maintain *all* of Boost not some sub-Boost. Otherwise we keep having
>> the same problem of having libraries that are not maintained to users
>> satisfaction because the owner is too busy. Once a Boost library is
>> accepted it should become a shared responsibility of the community!
> Wow. I *think* I love that idea.

The guild's whole purpose is to (1) improve boost for the community, and
(2) lighten authors' maintenance burdens. If these aren't accomplished,
we scratch it.

The guild's bias is heavily self-study (IMHO), so to minimally involve
the authors. Establishing rapport would be completely at the authors'
discretion. And, theoretically, if the guild really is lightening
authors' burdens significantly, then some of their new-found abundance
of free time might be spent that way.

(Rene: Are you saying that library authors should be more involved, or
shouldn't be more burdened?)