Subject: Re: [boost] Minimizing Dependencies within Generic Classes for Faster and Smaller Programs
From: vicente.botet (vicente.botet_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-11-14 07:59:44

----- Original Message -----
From: "Joaquin M Lopez Munoz" <joaquin_at_[hidden]>
To: <boost_at_[hidden]>
Sent: Saturday, November 13, 2010 1:37 PM

> 3. With these caveats, Boost.MultiIndex iterators can be said
> to be SCARY as long as they belong to the same category
> of index (ordered, hashed, sequenced, random.access) in some
> situations, not in others.
<snip>
> but the following, which would be far more useful, does
> *not* work:
>
> // example 2
>
> typedef multi_index_container<
> int,
> indexed_by<
> ordered_unique<identity<int> >,
> ordered_non_unique<identity<int>,std::greater<int> >
> >
> > multi_t;
>
> multi_t::nth_index<0>::type::iterator it1;
> multi_t::nth_index<1>::type::iterator it2;
>
> it1=it2;

I can see the utility of these kind of assignments, but I would not name them SCARY, as the types are different. I find however enough clear the approach you take in Boost.MultiIndex to achieve the same behavior via projections

http://www.boost.org/doc/libs/1_44_0/libs/multi_index/doc/tutorial/basics.html#projection

Best,
Vicente