Subject: Re: [boost] [Guild] Getting volunteers' changes back to trunk
From: Jim Bell (Jim_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-11-15 09:37:54

On 1:59 PM, Robert Ramey wrote:
> Rene Rivera wrote:
>> Having a fluid Guild work on bugs has the most benefit as far as
>> balancing control. If a libraries is well maintained, like yours
>> Robert, then it's unlikely that a Guild member will ever need to get
>> involved. After all there's no point in trying to fix bugs that will
>> be taken care of by the owner and expert diligently.

Yes. No open tickets and all regressions passing means nothing for the
Guild to do. (Do we capitalize the Guild or not? I've not been
consistent myself.)

> For the record, I should note that I get A LOT of help with bugs
> from others - including some of those active on this thread. I suspect
> that the fact that I do try address and incorporate bug fixes and
> suggestions has a lot to do with the fact that others are willing to
> invest the effort to help.

I'll bet the help you get is in small amounts, each focused on a
specific issue: your own Guild.

>> Hence, for libraries that are not well maintained will get more attention
>> and
>> the author will loose more control by the sheer fact that she is less
>> diligent.
> Sounds good to me. Just make sure that the "if you break it, you bought it"
> rule is enforced.

Seeing unexpected effects from a change is a very valuable learning
experience--hence, sharpening one's skills. There could be times where
another guild member needs to step in where one drops out of sight (or,
God forbid, steps in front of a bus). Yet another valuable learning
experience, IMHO.