Subject: Re: [boost] Interest in B-tree library for Boost?
From: Beman Dawes (bdawes_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-11-17 15:04:41

On Tue, Nov 16, 2010 at 7:04 AM, Cory Nelson <phrosty_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 15, 2010 at 9:04 AM, Beman Dawes <bdawes_at_[hidden]> wrote:
>> A Boost B-tree library would provide disk-based associative containers
>> that scale all the way from really, really, small to really, really,
>> large. B-trees perform well on hardware ranging from ancient floppy
>> disk drives all the way up to humongous disk arrays. They are the
>> technology behind most high-performance disk file systems and
>> databases.
>>

> Hi Beman, any updates on this?  Or are you too busy with the coming
> Boost release?

Haven't done anything in the last month, due mostly to a major house
renovation in-process, and helping with the Library Working Group
organization during the C++ committee meeting last week.

You can see earlier progress by taking a look at
https://github.com/Beman/Boost-Btree/commits/master. A lot of effort
has gone into test and timing code, and it has been awhile now since
any bugs surfaced.

My next work item is support for variable length data. It will
probably be another month before there is much to report on that. In
the meantime, see boost/btree/detail/fixstr.hpp for a little string
class that has a fixed maximum length. Although it wastes space
compared to true variable length I/O-able data, it would be fine for
loads of applications.

--Beman