Subject: Re: [boost] [config] Variadic template macros in gcc header
From: Edward Diener (eldiener_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-11-21 10:35:52

On 11/21/2010 4:51 AM, Daniel James wrote:
> On 21 November 2010 09:40, John Maddock<boost.regex_at_[hidden]> wrote:
>>
>> Historical baggage - the BOOST_HAS_ one is deprecated and no longer
>> documented, new code should always be using the BOOST_NO_ version, the other
>> is present for backwards compatibility. BTW I've just committed a fix to
>> Trunk to make sure that the two versions are normalized with respect to each
>> other. If someone wants to take on the task of getting the release branch
>> free of the BOOST_HAS_ version, then they can also remove it from
>> Boost.Config ;-)
>
> I tried a while ago but there was some resistance as code using
> BOOST_HAS_ will work on a compliant C++03 compiler with an empty
> config file.

I don't understand your remark. As far as I can see
BOOST_HAS_VARIADIC_TMPL needs to be defined or not to use it in code
that depends on it so an empty compiler config file does not do anything
to promote use of variadic templates depending on that macro. In fact an
empty compiler config file will not have BOOST_NO_VARIADIC_TEMPLATES
defined so anyone using that instead to decide whether or not variadic
templates are supported will assume they are for a compiler whose config
file is empty.

But I have the feeling you mean something else.