Subject: [boost] [trac] Website performance, and disabling the code browser?
From: Rene Rivera (grafikrobot_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-11-28 10:09:13

On 11/28/2010 7:45 AM, Jim Bell wrote:
> On 1:59 PM, Dean Michael Berris wrote:

>>> Yes, I'm aware of, and trying to fix, that problem. It's intermittent, but
>>> recurring with sufficient propensity to be really annoying :-(
>>>
>> This is inherent in SQLite because it's designed to be a
>> single-threaded embedded database. If there's an option to use BDB,
>> PostgreSQL, or MySQL as the backing store, we can avoid this database
>> locking issue.

The idea of switching to MySQL is something I've been investigating this
past week (when I've gotten a chance from work) and it's not something
that can be done easily, AFAICT. It essentially boils down to exporting,
editing SQL, importing, and crossing fingers that Trac understands the
new data.

> Can we tune SQLite?
>
> I've found big performance improvements with some of these pragmas...
> PRAGMA journal_mode = OFF;
> PRAGMA synchronous = OFF;
> PRAGMA cache_size = 20000;
> PRAGMA locking_mode = EXCLUSIVE;
> PRAGMA temp_store = MEMORY;
>
> You have to have enough control to run them every time the library
> initializes. And, of course, understand their consequences.
> <http://sqlite.org/pragma.html>

Not sure we have that control since it's inside Trac code. One item that
the performance measurements have brought is that slowest part is the
Trac code browser. So one possible option is to disable just the browser
component to see if things improve. Of course the drawback of that is
loosing that functionality. Which is rather convenient.. But isn't
something we can't get with other tools, like the direct web access SVN
provides and things like TSVN.

--
-- Grafik - Don't Assume Anything