Subject: Re: [boost] [trac] Website performance, and disabling the code browser?
From: Rene Rivera (grafikrobot_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-12-01 22:15:40

On 12/1/2010 6:50 PM, Jamie Allsop wrote:
> Rene Rivera wrote:
>> The idea of switching to MySQL is something I've been investigating
>> this past week (when I've gotten a chance from work) and it's not
>> something that can be done easily, AFAICT. It essentially boils down
>> to exporting, editing SQL, importing, and crossing fingers that Trac
>> understands the new data.
>
> Migrating to Postgresql works well and tools like PgAdminIII make
> additional administration trivial should you need it. The information
> here will help
> http://www.agile-trac.org/wiki/Documentation/MigratingToPostgresql. If
> you are having trouble PM me.

What does "work well" mean?

 From reading that procedure it sounds just as complicated a process as
migrating to MySQL. And I don't see any mention of which Trac versions
this has been tested with. And the original sqlite2pg script they point
to as the basis is only tested up to 0.11. And I would have to deal with
the additional step of setting up Pg and the corresponding web admin
program. Which I would have to ask the admins to do, not because I
can't, but because they would need to integrate it into their support
procedures.

I guess I could do a migration to MySQL easier by using more standard
relational database tools to copy the data and schema over into a new
DB. But that's still a rather bit of manual work. And it would mean
shutting down usage of Trac while one does that to avoid data loss.

--
-- Grafik - Don't Assume Anything