Subject: Re: [boost] Library for configuration file parsing
From: Dean Michael Berris (mikhailberis_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-12-02 10:27:35

On Thu, Dec 2, 2010 at 11:15 PM, Denis Shevchenko
<for.dshevchenko_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> On 02.12.2010 17:58, Hartmut Kaiser wrote:
>>
>> All of your stated goals could be achieved by using Spirit underneath as
>> the
>> parser engine for your config file format, no?
>>
>> Regards Hartmut
>
> Strictly speaking, yes.
>
> Be honest, I did not use Spirit because (imho) it's difficult-to-study
> library. I may be wrong, but I was easier to write own parser engine using
> Boost.String algo, Boost.Regex and std::algorithm (the more so becausethe
> complexity of parsing there is not so high).

Have you tried it yet?

Unfortunately I have the reverse of your experience. Parsing with a
big switch and implementing my own DFA for incremental HTTP parsing is
so ugly and unintuitive that I've had to rely too much on trial and
error while doing it. I long for the day when I can just define a
restartable Boost.Spirit based composed parser and not have to worry
about the parsing details -- I really want to define my parsers now in
a declarative way that Boost.Spirit across all the versions I've used
(Classic and v2.x), and hopefully that won't be too far in the future.

Just my $0.02 worth.

--
Dean Michael Berris
deanberris.com