Subject: Re: [boost] GIL io_new review
From: Lubomir Bourdev (lbourdev_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-12-13 12:52:56

On Dec 13, 2010, at 9:28 AM, Phil Endecott wrote:

> Lubomir, when you wrote "to do something more complicated, such as read
> the image in parts, one can simply build that functionality using the
> classes directly", were you suggesting that the user should use these
> private classes, or that they could do this by extending the extension,
> or something else?

I was pointing out that the library designer could build on top of these existing classes in order to extend the library to new functionality, such as reading an image in parts. And in such cases, since the state has to be maintained across multiple calls, it is probably a good idea to make these classes public, the way Domagoj has done it.

All of this is discussing future functionality that would require adding new API. The currently proposed public API does not have to change to accommodate the future needs.

Lubomir