Subject: Re: [boost] [OT] Open Source Forking and Boost (was Re: [SQL-Connectivity] Is Boost interested in CppDB?)
From: Bruce Adams (tortoise_74_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-12-16 08:43:12

----- Original Message ----

I knew I should have stayed out of this :)
I meant "you" as in the "community" and I meant "should consider" rather than
"need".
Its not an order or a criticism just an observation that it seems to work better
than way
in my experience.

> >> All you've written sounds somewhat obvious to me, indeed.

Good. That means I'm not talking complete garbage. Still you probably wouldn't
be
amazed at how what is blindingly obvious to one person is clear as mud to
another.

> > Yeah, but what is the current process reflecting?
> > [...]
>
> That's what I've asked about.
>
> Currently, the maintainer's responsibilities [1] are concluded with
>
> "If at some point you no longer wish to serve as maintainer of your
> library, it is your responsibility to make this known to the boost
> community and to find another individual to take your place."
>
> [1] http://www.boost.org/community/reviews.html
>
> Perhaps they should be updated with what Bruce has expalined
> and Dave agreed with.

I'm an outsider with no say in the matter and no experience with submitting
patches
to boost.
I would have thought that if someone has been trusted enough to have access to
SVN
to include their own contributions they can be trusted to access the rest of the
source tree.
Anyone who abused that priviledge would see it rapidly withdrawn. One point of
source control
is that you can roll back if things go awry.

 Regards,

Bruce.