Subject: Re: [boost] Respecting a projects toolchain decisions (was Re: [context] new version - support for Win64)
From: Vladimir Prus (vladimir_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-12-27 14:49:13

Sohail Somani wrote:

> On 10-12-27 12:27 AM, Vladimir Prus wrote:
>> You*really* should use git-svn. It's trivial to push any line of history
>> to any branch on any subversion server.
>
> If you have the time, would you mind outlining your workflow? There is
> something about the manual that just doesn't work with my brain.

I'd be happy to talk to you about that, but probably offlist, because I use
git-svn for non-Boost things. But one thing that I did in past and which is
relevant to current discussion is:

- Mirror an SVN branch with some third-party component and a pile of patches
to git.
- Mirror an SVN branch with later version of third-party component to git.
- Move patches from one branch to another, rearranging them heavily
- Push changes to the second branch in SVN.

This was pretty painful, but most of the pain was due to 'git rebase':

- Being totally unreliable in some earlier version
- Having rather awkward behaviour in all versions

git-svn on the other hand, worked just fine.

- Volodya