Subject: Re: [boost] [wiki] Warning Guidelines for VC
From: Michael Caisse (boost_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-12-30 13:18:46

On 12/30/2010 02:05 AM, Paul A. Bristow wrote:
> [...]

<snip>

> "If it proves impossible to compile with the /Za option
>
> *(it is reported to cause trouble with the MS compiler, sometimes),*
> <<<<<<<<<<<<
>
> just document this, including in the build jamfile."
>
> was added before we got a definitive statement (admission?) from Stephen.
>
> I believe that it is still true that using /Za option will smoke out *some*
> portability issues and may be worth a try.
>
> Running it on all the many platforms is obviously the ultimate portability
> test.
>
> But you may be right that 'doing it right' causes more trouble than the
> potential benefits.
>
> We also don't know if the "an extremely nasty bug" is squashed in VC10, so
> the advice may be out of date.
>
> (I have also found that the /Za option causes hard-to-trace link errors if
> you don't use it in all libraries).
>
> If we change our recommendations here, we may be sentencing some groups of
> users to changing that their SOPs.
>
> If you have strong views on this, I suggest starting a new thread on this.
>
> Paul

Thanks for the response Paul. I don't have strong views primarily
because I use the MS toolchain so infrequently. More than the "nasty
bug" was the recollection from talking to Stephan at boostcon (and as
indicated in his post) that they don't internally test the standard
library with /Za.

It seems that if the vendor isn't testing with it that it wouldn't be
prudent to try.

> PS
>
>> I began to edit the wiki page but considering the amount of text and an
>>

> (I've been the 'author' of this - after discussions on the list, but you are
> welcome to change it - preferably after more discussions).

I am happy to help but will defer to your judgment.

--
Michael Caisse
Object Modeling Designs