Subject: Re: [boost] Respecting a projects toolchain decisions
From: Dean Michael Berris (mikhailberis_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-01-01 04:39:25

Klaim, please don't top post. See
http://www.boost.org/community/policy.html#quoting

That said, please see my response in-lined below:

On Wed, Dec 29, 2010 at 7:49 PM, Klaim <mjklaim_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> I know about the 7 years existence of the ticket, but if you follow closely
> the (very) recent evolution of TRAC, or simply look at the features of the
> (late) coming version :
> http://trac.edgewall.org/wiki/TracDev/ReleaseNotes/0.13
> <http://trac.edgewall.org/wiki/TracDev/ReleaseNotes/0.13>The discussion
> about how it will be achieved is there :
> http://trac.edgewall.org/wiki/TracDev/Proposals/MultipleProject
> The related tasks planned are there :
> http://trac.edgewall.org/wiki/MultipleProjectSupport
> You see that it's planned (at least). It was not planned before as you
> pointed it correctly.

Sorry, but I myself loved Trac when it came out as it looked better
than Bugzilla. I was stuck in a place where Bugzilla was sacred and
the thought of moving to something better didn't even get discussed as
it was one of those "taboo" issues. Anyway, I'm glad they stuck with
Bugzilla because even Bugzilla seems to be evolving much faster/better
than Trac.

The project doesn't inspire confidence if there isn't an active
community of users and developers dedicated to improving the product.
Even if Trac 0.13 does deliver on its promises and does do things in a
better way, then it would take time for me to even consider using it
again.

> <http://trac.edgewall.org/wiki/MultipleProjectSupport>However, I agree that
> you can't count on it at the moment neither in near future, so if
> multi-projects management becomes a requirement, TRAC can't be kept and
> Redmine and Jira becomes the only good alternatives. I personally prefer
> Redmine but would still like it to be more mature in some aspects.

I'm a +1 for either Redmine or Jira, but mostly Jira because of the
community aspects that it introduces. With Jira you can let members of
the community vote up on a certain issue that's raised. This makes
planning which issues to address much easier to see which ones
actually have a higher impact based on community feedback.

I'm positive Redmine would have a similar mechanism, but I'd be happy
moving to either one of them as long as it's away from Trac. ;)

--
Dean Michael Berris
about.me/deanberris