Subject: Re: [boost] [system][chrono] header-only libs
From: Beman Dawes (bdawes_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-01-02 20:56:49

On Sun, Jan 2, 2011 at 12:24 PM, vicente.botet <vicente.botet_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> Beman,
>
> I would like to know if you are yet interesteed on the header only version for Boost.System.
>
> Best,
> Vicente

I'm interested in the concept, but we would need to do a lot better
that the code in the sandbox:

Much of boost/system/detail/inlined/error_code.hpp code duplicates
libs/system/src/error_code.cpp code. That isn't acceptable since it
would create a maintenance nightmare. Code for each component needs to
be defined in a single file, with macro magic to abstract away the
difference between the library. Having to do every maintenance fix in
two places isn't practical - the code will certainly diverge over
time.

The test framework also needs more work. Testing only the inlined
version doesn't give enough confidence the library version works OK.

--Beman