Subject: Re: [boost] [spirit] semantic action for mismatches?
From: Stewart, Robert (Robert.Stewart_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-01-10 11:30:27

caustik wrote:

> It would be a nice addition to the documentation to have some
> thorough benchmark tests. Any particular ideas on what good
> tests would be?

I agree that benchmarks would be good, if only to allow one to choose among the alternatives for a given scenario. I'm sure there are plenty of cases that favor each alternative, so the set of test cases would need to be fairly broad.

The example I had for parsing various number formats was certainly non-trivial and required a good deal of tuning to get good performance out of Xpressive. I was hamstrung by the need to use Spirit.Classic from Boost 1.37 when I did that. It may be that Spirit.Qi from a recent Boost release would fair better.

> Maybe even just a note in the FAQs with a suggestion on how
> tests could be run, and asking for users to contribute, would
> yield some help from others.

Possibly.

The benchmarks could be maintained independently from the affected projects or each project could provide its own optimized implementation of a given benchmark. Then, interested parties could build the benchmarks that most closely match current needs to compare the speed of the potential solutions within their own build environments. Maintaining the implementation of each benchmark with a given project means that a project's cheerleaders can tune the implementation as they like without coordination with any other projects and each project community owns their implementation. Doing them in an independent way would probably lead to their languishing without requisite attention over time.

I know I haven't given any specifics in response to your questions, but perhaps this will lead to further discussion. (In fact, I suggest that you restart this discussion in a new thread.)

_____
Rob Stewart robert.stewart_at_[hidden]