Subject: Re: [boost] [Wiki] Changes in information about gcc warnings.
From: Stewart, Robert (Robert.Stewart_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-01-19 10:18:06

Patrick Horgan wrote:

> I just added this to the wiki for pedantic:
>
> *-pedantic*
>
> This instructs GCC to consider the release version of C or
> C++ and to first issue all warnings required by that
> version of the standard, and second warn about the use of
> gcc extenstions to the language. This would, for instance
> warn about the use of /#ident/ since it is a gcc extension
> and is not in any of the standards. Using -pedantic makes
> it easier to write portable code, or at least to know when
> it is not. Best used with the /-std=xxxxx/ argument to the
> compiler, so that you know what version of the standard
> you're being compared to. Currently if /-std=xxxxx/ is not
> specified, it's as if you'd written /-std=gnu++98/. Much
> of boost uses facilities from more recent versions of the
> standard, so it might make more sense to explicitly
> specify /-std=c++0x/ or /-std=gnu++0x/. /-std=c++0x/ is
> most portable. See the page
> http://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/gcc/Standards.html for more
> information.

There's good information there, but it's a bit verbose and could include the limited ability to suppress some warnings. Perhaps this would work better?

"This causes GCC to issue all required diagnostics of the language standard given by the -std=xxxx option (the default is -std=gnu++98) and to warn about the use of GCC extensions. (This would, for instance, warn about the use of #ident, which is a non-standard, GCC extension.) Some of the warnings this option will trigger can be suppressed, such as the use of long long in C++98 code with -Wno-long-long, but most cannot.

"Using this option helps to write portable code for a given language standard. Boost increasingly uses C++0x features, so -std=c++0x increasingly is a necessary alternative to the default.

"Refer to http://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/gcc/Standards.html for more
information."

_____
Rob Stewart robert.stewart_at_[hidden]