Subject: Re: [boost] Process discussions
From: Joel de Guzman (joel_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-01-31 19:39:09

On 2/1/2011 12:45 AM, Dave Abrahams wrote:
> At Mon, 31 Jan 2011 18:32:17 +0800,
> Joel de Guzman wrote:
>>
>> A Good Craftsman Never Blames His Tools
>
> This is a nice soundbite, but let's be serious for a moment: good
> craftsmen regularly switch to better tools that help them get their
> jobs done more easily, and before they do, they often discuss the
> merits of such a switch.

Agreed. And that's what we are discussing now. I guess I am just
wary of statements like "this XYZ tool is broken and should be replaced
by this ABC tool that gives you IJK more features" while many share the
same sentiment that they are just fine with the tool. I am also hesitant
of wholesale change to many tools. Familiarity with a certain tool takes
time for one to reach a certain level of mastery. If we are to change
our tools, let's do it incrementally with extreme care so as not to cause
big disruptions.

Regards,

--
Joel de Guzman