Subject: Re: [boost] PCH support for clang-linux (clang-darwin tester needed)
From: wash (admin_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-02-15 12:13:34

On Mon, 14 Feb 2011 16:06:08 +0100
Jürgen Hunold <juergen.hunold_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> Hi wash,
>
> On Sunday, 13. February 2011 07:55:12 Bryce Lelbach wrote:
> > I have committed a patch which fixes Boost.Build for clang-linux.
>
> Thanks.
>
> > There are three major distributions of clang for Linux; LLVM/Clang itself
> > (source only), RPMs (source and binaries) and .debs (source and binaries).
> > As the existing Boost.Build implementation of PCH support for Clang does
> > not seem to by the clang versions shipped via any of these three mediums,
> > I've junked the old bjam actions entirely and replaced them with actions
> > that work.
>
> That seems to cause havoc on x86_64
>
> /usr/bin/ld: error: /home/hunold/src/devel/boost/bin.v2/libs/math/build/clang-
> linux-2.9/debug/sph_neumannf.o: requires unsupported dynamic reloc; recompile
> with -fPIC
> clang: error: linker command failed with exit code 1 (use -v to see
> invocation)
>
> Seem the compile commands are now missing -fPIC. I think -fPIC should be
> always added, as it is already done for gcc.jam. See the ML archives for
> details and rationale
>
> It would be nice if you could clean up clang-linux.jam after all issue have
> been ironed out. Those commented out blocks are, well, annoying.
>
> Yours,
>
> Jürgen

Jurgen, can you try again from top of trunk?

I need to rewrite a good portion of the clang-linux and intel-linux Boost.Build
toolchains to work with PCH.

The compile.c++ and compile.c rules need to not be updating rules for
clang-linux and intel-linux. They need to dispatch to one of two rules which do
have actions, allowing us to specialize the action for compiling w/PCHs instead
of trying to generalize a command line invocation that both works for compiling
with pchs, and will work when the PCH_FILE variable is empty.

Nothing I did should have affected the -fPIC stuff. I'll check, though.

- --
Bryce Lelbach aka wash
boost-spirit.com

- --