Subject: Re: [boost] [Boost-commit] svn:boost r68912 - in branches/release: boost libs/utility
From: Beman Dawes (bdawes_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-02-15 16:52:38

On Tue, Feb 15, 2011 at 2:32 PM, Michael Fawcett
<michael.fawcett_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 15, 2011 at 11:30 AM, Beman Dawes <bdawes_at_[hidden]> wrote:

>> And (2) part of the point of more time between beta and release is to
>> allow time for more changes to get into release. We need to formalize
>> that as we do the schedule for 1.47.0, but I'm already moving in that
>> direction.
>
> I agree with allowing more time for changes to get into release during
> the beta period, however, by "changes" I think most people think "bug
> fixes", not new features.

Particularly if there is quite a gap between beta and release, I think
risk is a better criteria. So a minor new feature that seems very low
risk might be OK, but a really tricky and complex bug fix,
particularly a non-showstopper, might be less desirable.

But we really need to start a different thread about what a beta
should be trying to achieve, what are the problems we are currently
experiencing that we be able to fix, etc.

> Note that this is a general comment and not a comment on the
> particular commit in question since I am not a Boost developer.

Hey, discussion helps! Doesn't matter if you are developer or not.

--Beman