Subject: Re: [boost] GSoC SIMD project
From: Antoine de Maricourt (antoine.de-maricourt_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-03-01 17:05:30

>> I have been working for two or three months now on a low level core
>> library, but with possibly different goals. I was not that much
>> interested into developping a comprehensive math library, but mostly
>> into being able to target GPUs.
>
> We've decided that math functions (trigonometric, exponential, etc.)
> wouldn't be in the SIMD library but only in NT2.
>
> While they use the SIMD library, those don't have any platform-specific
> code anyway. (at least I believe so, haven't seen the code of all of them)

Seems to be a reasonable choice.

>> I came out with proto being used as a front end and driving a back end
>> that generates GPU specific source code (OpenCL, or vendor specific
>> langage such as AMD CAL IL, or even CPU instructions using SSE Intel
>> intrinsics for instance).
>
> Doing that kind of thing is only possible when you have a substantial
> amount of code, such as a whole function or a code kernel.

Yes, that's what I will do. You write functions that look like kernels.
They are embedded inside C++ code, compiled by a regular C++ compiler,
and when you execute those functions, they issue dedicated source code
to be compile again and executed into the target runtime's environment.

> That's out of the scope of the SIMD library, which only aims at
> providing a portable and efficient set of SIMD operations, and recognize
> certain combination patterns to map them to the optimized primitives.
>
> You could, however, compile a bunch of code at runtime using the library
> to achieve the desired effect.

Does "could" mean that the library will provide support to do it in a
straightforward way? Or does it mean it's theoriticaly possible at great
expense, because that's not a library's use case?

>> The generated code is then compiled again and
>> run inside GPU runtime environment. However, this is probably very
>> simple minded compared to NT2, and given the time I spent on it.
>>
>> So, is NT2 able to target GPU? and to take into acount GPU's programing
>> model?
>
> Yes NT2 can do that (or will be able to, rather, since that code is not
> in the public repository yet), but that works at a way higher level of
> abstraction than the SIMD component that we're proposing for Boost (it
> works in terms of series of operations on multidimensional tables of
> arbitrary size, while the SIMD library only works with SIMD registers of
> for example 128 or 256 bits).

OK, I think my use case needs a more low level fine control, but I need
to know more about what NT2 will be able to do. I'll wait for the doc
and friendly examples.

> The two GPU backends (OpenCL and CUDA) are not released to the public
> yet because we're still considering commercial ventures with these.

Does this mean there is a possibility the GPU backends will not be
avaible as open source? or with a restricted licence?

> The OpenCL backend generates and compiles code at runtime from a proto
> expression, the CUDA one does something smarter.

I'd like to ear about the smarter things! but I guess you won't say that
much if you have commercial plans...

Best regards,

        Antoine.