Subject: Re: [boost] Religious sensibility (WAS: RE: [XInt] CoW/Move Timings)
From: Arindam Mukherjee (arindam.mukerjee_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-03-14 09:01:01

On Mon, Mar 14, 2011 at 5:31 PM, Domagoj Saric <
domagoj.saric_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> "Robert Kawulak" <robert.kawulak_at_[hidden]> wrote in message

>> [...] after all, is just another variation [...]
>> [...]
>> So let's just be fair and consistent and equally tolerate all [...] or
>> tolerate none.
>>

> In order to facilitate peaceful, constructive and on-topic discussion in
> any non-political/philosophical/religious discussion group a certain
> 'common-law'-like ethos or a common/'axiomatic' set of 'civilized values'
> has to
> be accepted and respected by everyone.
>
> "Absolute tolerance" is just another self-contradicting post-modern idea
> for
> it would, of course, have to tolerate intolerance.
>
> In a multi-billion population you will find very many people (including
> university professors) that will argue for or have nothing against e.g.
> paedophilia, zoophilia, eugenics, euthanasia etc...
> And, until we "evolve" enough to accept these "behavioural patterns" as
> "generally acceptable", they should not be 'rubbed in' as "acceptable" in
> non-political/philosophical/religious discussion groups...the same goes for
> Satanism...

I am a little flummoxed at the amount of tension this has generated. I would
really not care how your email address is spelt as long as what you write in
the subject and body of your email does not offend me and does not violate
the rules of the list. The email id is really your personal business, not
mine, not anybody elses. I am entitled to have a personal take on it - I
might think it is irreverent, ungodly, unsatanly, anti-karmic, polytheistic,
weird or in completely bad taste - but I don't think I have a right to show
my prejudice against you on the forum, or demand that you use an email id
that doesn't offend me.

If it is still a big issue, I'd expect the list admins to put in rules to
check each email id and block those that are deemed offensive (and I know
that sounds Draconian and pointless, not to mention un-foolproof).

Cheers,
Arindam